Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Book Exchange GOODIES

This week I received some CAHUUTE and super cool book exchange goodies from Brenda at Primary Inspired.  Take a look:

 
I absolutely LOVE using picture books to teach or reinforce math concepts.  Brenda sent me the book Ten Sly Piranhas by William Wise.  It is a counting story in reverse - which lends itself to be a great SUBTRACTION lesson.  What is also neat is she included a book for the kids to make by writing each equation (For example: 10 - 1 = 9) and then illustrating the equation.  In this book, the biggest pirahna is eating the other pirahnas until the end... when an alligator gobbles up the sneaky pirahna!  Adorable.   You could also challenge students by asking them what if the sneaky pirahna at two fish, three fish or more?  Tons of possibilities, yet love the idea.  She also (HOW SWEET) sent me some dice in dice to use with this book or subtraction center. In addition to all that ~ she sent me another book called One, Two, Skip a few that includes a bunch of number rhymes.  Last year I always had a math tub that included a book about a math concept.  My students would read the book and choose something out of the book to create an equation and then illustrate.  What a great book to add to my collection.

I am so excited to have been a part of this book exchange.  If you were a part of this book exchange, don't forget to LINK UP over at How 'Bout Them Apples and share with us what you received in the mail. 

0 COMMENTS:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...